I spent Monday in Oklahoma City on business. Though the day concluded quite successfully, its strangeness was foreshadowed by an unusually odd cab ride (in a city that has been, in my experience, marked by odd cab rides).
First, a bit of scene setting: My taxi driver, Dave, wore a red and yellow jacket and cap that coordinated with his cab:
The cab was a minivan, its windows covered by “screaming eagle” and American flag stickers--this is but one example:
On the passenger side of the dashboard bobbled the heads of at least twenty bobble-head dogs:
Dave told me to watch my head as I stepped inside, but I promptly dashed it against the ceiling. Perhaps that explains the surreal ride that was to follow.
Dave told me his story as we hurtled along the highways connecting the airport to
According to Dave, he has been driving a cab for a long time, always in
Our talk then turned to more recent events. Dave said he had “just woken up one day, unable to drive.” He realized this when passengers were telling him their destinations but he could not figure out where to take them; he felt really embarassed by this and other unspecified driving incidents that occurred at that time. Dave's wife told him he had a problem and insisted that he see a doctor, even making the appointment for him. Though the doctor prescribed the medicine Dave believes has “made him drive better than I have in years,” he credits “Jesus and my wife” (in that order) for his restored driving ability. Dave then inquired whether I am a Christian, and my hackles raised a bit. I said only that I am not really sure what that question means. He said, kindly, that I would definitely know what it meant if God had saved my life, as his had been saved, but wisely did not press me on the issue.
With the downtown Oklahoma City "skyline" in our sights, Dave changed the subject and demanded that I guess his age. Slightly erring on the kind side, I guessed he was 59. In fact, he proudly declared, he is 69 and will turn 70 in a few months. As a pulled up to my hotel, Dave asked if I had already reserved my hotel room, as he expected the city to be packed. According to him, a “convention of kids from Hurricane Katrina” was in town. (This representation later caused me to be laughed into oblivion at a business meeting).
Before stepping out of the van, I could not resist taking a closer shot of the dog bobbles:
08 March 2006
Another bizarre Oklahoma City taxi story.
Posted by Lisa at 8:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Unfortunately this taxi driver is the most interesting person in OKC. I'm serious. He really is the most interesting person in OKC. Sad huh?
I liked your response to his question. Make him explain what he thinks being a Christian is. I hate getting that question. That and "have you found a nice church?"
Well you can feel good about the fact that you didn't make him fear for his life so he was willing to take the fare.
I am as fascinated by the differing perspectives on this post about Dave as I was by Dave himself! I do see, in reviewing the picture of the bobble dogs, that I vastly overestimated their numbers and that there were only about 11 or 12, not 20.
Post a Comment