28 March 2006

The wistful look of a player during his last game.

I have lots to write about my trip to Arizona, and not much time in which to write. But I wanted to touch on this before it slips away . . .

I saw today that Marquis Grissom, a guy who was trying to make the Cubs' roster by playing well in spring training, retired today. My heart ached a bit on reading this. Not because I have long loyalty to Marquis--I really don't know much about him at all. But yesterday, I saw the last game he ever played.

Marquis played all nine innings in right field, and for some reason, I happened to see him often and really notice him, whether I was sitting in my seat behind home plate watching him bat or hovering near the end of the first base line, near his spot in right field, to peek at the guys in the bullpen and get a different angle on the scene. And each time I noticed Marquis, I saw a certain expression on his face, a slight wistfulness, and saw that he kept looking around at the crowd when he was playing in the field. I didn't realize it then, but I think now that he knew it was his last game and he was trying to burn the memory into his brain of the sounds of the crowd, and the faces, and all of it, so that he will remember always what that feeling was like, even if the memory only came from a spring training game.



Today, he said: "When it's time, it's time," . . . "I think this is the best thing for me, at this point, to officially hang the cleats up and go home and enjoy the second half of my life and do things I've always wanted to do" . . . "The best thing about [Monday] was I played nine innings and I felt good" . . . "I'm at peace with myself," he said. "I'm happy. I feel the whole world has been lifted off my shoulders. I don't have to do it, I don't have to commit the time. It took its toll. This is the way I want to go out."

Grissom is, according to the linked article, "one of seven players in Major League history to record 2,000 hits, 200 home runs and 400 stolen bases. He was fourth on the active leaders list with 429 stolen bases and is 55th on the big league list, having stolen 20 or more bases in 10 of his 17 seasons." But what strikes me about him is his love for the game and his generosity in supporting the younger players. Today, when I realized the reason for the expression I saw on his face at yesterday's game, it touched me in a way I cannot quite explain. I hope this player who experienced so much on the field, will find a new, but equally satisfying, fulfillment in the second chapter of his life off the field.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Glad your back Lisa, I was starting to miss you.

I remember Grissom playing center field for Atlanta and other teams. He played soooo shallow because he had great instincts and could turn and run down the ball with his great speed. There is no telling how many runs he saved by playing that shallow. On a normal base hit to center a runner on second could score. But not with him out there playing in so close. He was a very good player and made the teams he played on better.

Not to bring you down, but did you see that while you were there at spring training the Cubs put BOTH Prior and Wood on the Disabled List? OUCH!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Jay, for the kind words immediately followed by the Prior/Wood observation. ;P It's good to hear from you, too.