01 March 2006

What was he fighting for?

Yesterday I arrived at the airport in Austin, Texas (nice guesses, Jay and Kell!) and walked to the parking garage where the rental cars are located. During this brief walk, I met a young soldier, still wearing his cammys, who had just returned from overseas (he did not specify which country). My "introduction" to him occurred when I looked over after hearing him say "asshole," not very much under his breath. Without a word from me, he explained that he was upset because airport security would not allow him to catch a cab upstairs, but was requiring him to go downstairs to the airport cab stand.

"Explain" may not be precisely the right word. Before I could explain that there are typically municipal ordinances that regulate where cabs can and cannot pick up passengers at an airport--making the decision totally out of the control of airport security--the soldier embarked upon an invective-filled diatribe. The soldier called the airport security guy various names I won't repeat here, whining about the injustice of being required to walk downstairs and, finally, ending by calling him a "foreigner," as if that was one of the unrepeatably bad words with which the tirade began.

I was dying to ask this soldier why he fought overseas for our country, if it wasn't to make this the kind of place where "foreigners" and others could live and work in peace, without being treated with disdain due to not having been born here. I did not do this, however, because I was afraid he would kick my ass and, for once, showed restraint. But I thought for a long time about the hatred and prejudice in the soldier's voice. I thought about what he did and did not learn while he was in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever he was. I wondered where and how one could possibly learn these lessons, if not there. And I worried that there are many others like him, either because of the war or despite the war or having nothing to do with the war, and that they are the future of our country.

6 comments:

Kell said...

Wow! That's a story you won't hear on the news. If anyone should understand regulations, it should have been him. That's really sad. Just another sign how destructive this war has been

Jay said...

I would think that his anger really had nothing to do with the cabs or anything else about the airport. The half dozen or so people that I have talked to that spent time in Iraq have all had a terrible time after returning. They were all pretty angry, but I'm not sure they know why or even realize it.

Lisa said...

Yes, you are both right, I think. The effects of this war are not readily measured, other than by the body count. And that is only the beginning of the story.

DA said...

I would be pretty messed up too I guess after having served during a war. Poor soul..

Lisa said...

I feel a little silly now for having written about this, Dimitri . . .as I forgot that so many soldiers are not joining the armed forces because of some pretty idealistic principle. They are joining because U.S. military recruiters, desperate to satisfy their quotas, are selling them a bill of goods about the benefits the military will give them, the skills they will learn there, etc., and preying on those with the fewest options for making a living.

If I had that moment to live over again, instead of listening in stunned silence to this soldier, I would have hugged him, thanked him for his efforts and welcomed him home.

DA said...

If I was able to live moments over again I would live many moments over again Lisa.

Big hug!