06 April 2006

Going home

Have you seen the movie Junebug? It is a really excellent independent movie from last year. I re-watched it tonight (breaking my new habit of returning Netflix movies with neck-breaking speed). The movie took me home again briefly, even though it takes place in South Carolina and I grew up in the Chicago farmland. The common elements I find in this movie include a cowed and quiet father puttering away at his bench in the basement when he isn't taking in everything there is to know about those around him, a mother who sews, singing old hymns at church, that experience of knowing everyone at church from way back, and the adult returning home who crashes in for a deep sleep and steals away to reflect, rather than being tossed into the fray of everyone immediately.

I was going to spend the weekend at home the farmland, immersed in seeing relatives for whom visits are long overdue. But when I decided to go to Austin last weekend, I gave up the long trip home because I felt too guilty spending the money and taking the time away from my dogs. I wasn't going to go at all, but some insane streak in me drove me to plan a 24-hour trip when I saw a crazy cheap air fare for such a short time there and realized I could just stay in the city without renting a car . . . I couldn't bear not to see the major league debut of the young Cubs pitcher Sean Marshall, throwing against the hated Chris Carpenter of the St. Louis Cardinals.

So, there I will be. Hoping that nothing happens before I can get home for a real visit.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Go, go, go. The best trips home are always the ones done on impulse. You may feel guilty about the money now, but you'll feel worse about missing the memory later.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Kitty,

I'll be heading up there bright and early tomorrow morning. Today it feels good to wake up in my own bed and have time to catch up on things for the first weekend in a long time!

Lisa