21 April 2006

Here's how Shrub looks through an entirely different set of eyes.

As Jay recently reported in writing about the Rolling Stone cover story, some in this country view Bush as the worst President ever, from an academic/historic/analytical viewpoint. I don't know about you, but one of my survival mechanisms since November 2000 has been to seek out others who are as appalled and embarrassed as I am to have this man represent our country and to cling to them like a lifeboat, reminding me that others are also aware that the Emperor, in fact, is wearing no clothes.

Given this survival mechanism, it is easy (for me anyway) to sometimes forget that around 49% of our fellow countrymen were foolish enough to vote for this man in the first place. And at least one of them does not regret his vote. This guy we'll call "McDonie" (because that's what he calls himself) is a frequent poster at Blurbomat, a web site I frequent. He recently wrote this:

I made no mistake in voting for President Bush. For me, it's a matter of shared principles and values, not pride.

You ask, "What has he done to deserve your support."

Here are 10 of my favorites.

1. Removed Saddam Hussein from power.
2. Championed tax relief bill.
3. Increased our border security.
4. Strengthed our economy.
5. Cracked down on terrorism.
6. Initiated ports deal with the UAE (President Clinton supported).
7. Appointed John Roberts and Samuel Alito the the Supreme Court.
8. Supported faith based initiatives.
9. Beat Al Gore.
10. Beat John Kerry.

I'm still waiting for his evidence to support numbers 3, 4 and 5. Regarding number 6, it is unclear why this "accomplishment" falls in the plus column, but I find it interesting that he credits Bush with having initiated the deal, when Bush denied any knowledge of it at the time. I am also amused by the nonsequitur about President Clinton supporting the deal--I have no idea if it is true, but: (a) Clinton's support is rarely cited by the Right as a positive factor for anything; and (b) if Clinton truly did support the deal, I can only think it was in the guise of a little boy prankster, wondering if the big dumb bully will be foolish enough to take his dare and do the very think that any thinking person knows Mrs. McCully will be really angry about.

I wonder how McDonie feels about Bush's success at cracking down on scofflaws after yesterday, when the Administration failed to screen out a "press member" who heckled the visiting leader of China. Oh yes, and the Administration also misidentified the Chinese anthem during the meeting.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Ok, it's people like this dude that drive me crazy.

Bush removed Saddam? Oh he did? The US. Army had nothing to do with that? And what happened to the whole "bringing Democracy to the Middle East" thing?

Tax relief was actually corporate welfare.

Lessened border security.

Weakened the base of our economy by squeezing the middle class and allowing of the out-sourcing of white collar jobs, in addition to the blue collar jobs already being outsourced.

Ignored the real terrorist threats and invaded Iraq.

Lobbyists put together the ports deal, he knew nothing of it.

Bush was ORDERED to appoint Roberts and Alito as they were the people Jerry Fallwell and James Dobson wanted.

The faith based initiatives are mostly just ways to funnel taxpayer money to so-called Christian organizations, that are really nothing more than fronts for Republican money laundering operations.

He did NOT beat Al Gore.

Kell said...

Don't you just love the right-wingers who use Clinton's name to support their point? As if we can't argue that it wasn't a good idea because Clinton thought it was, so if we don't agree with Bush then we don't agree with Clinton and we have to agree with Clinton because we're Liberal therefore Bush is right. But, of course, every other problem in the world started in the Clinton administration, according to them, so everything is Clinton's fault. They should make up their tiny minds.

I haven't bought that Rolling Stone yet. Better go get it.

DA said...

He is being rediculized (is that a word?) more and more over here in Europe.

Lisa said...

Thanks, all of you, for reminding me I am not alone!