15 April 2006

My name is Lisa, and I remain a book addict.

I have barely touched my stack of books this year (though I think I've done better than this--I read books and forget to list them), yet I cannot stop buying more books! Tonight I popped into Borders on a mission to buy a guide to my Nikon D70, as I believe my intuition has taken me as far as it can with respect to my development as a photographer and for some reason I find that the only D70 guide I own and can locate is written entirely in Spanish. I also wanted to buy Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated, about which I have heard many good things. I walked out approximately 20 minutes later with those two books, and four others--three Anne Lamott and one Sarah Vowell.

Good lord.

In other news, you've gotta love a bartender who knows what he wants (or doesn't):



I learned while sipping an icy-cold Shiner Bock beer at this place on Friday that the way to have a fabulous weekend is to start it early--around 4:00 p.m. Much fun had with my visiting friend, one of the few people who can make me laugh so hard that I cry or nearly stop breathing and actually have to pull over the car because I can no longer drive.

I hope your weekends have been just as wonderful!

5 comments:

Jay said...

No Dave Matthews? What kind of rule is that? Of course, there are a lot of country "singers" that I wouldn't allow to be played in my bar.

Is the Sarah Vowell book "Assasination Vacation"? If so, it's good. I enjoyed it alot. Of course, in it she goes on trips that I would love to go on myself.

"Partly Cloudy Patriot" is also good, but not as good as Vacation. Patriot is just a collection of essays.

Jenn said...

Anne Lamott is one of my most favorite writers of all time. She is also one of those rare writers who can read her own work, and it is well worth borrowing one of her essay collections on cd for a listen.

I'm curious - which books by her did you purchase?

Lisa said...

Hey, fellow readers!

Yes, Jay, I bought "Assassination Vacation."

And Jenn, the Lamott books I bought are:

Operating Instructions
Joe Jones
Rosie
Crooked Little Heart

and I had Blue Shoes already.

Read Bird by Bird over Christmas and loved it, and just finished Hard Laughter.

Thanks for the CD tip. Which of her books is your favorite?

Jenn said...

Traveling Mercies is my favorite.
Operating Instructions is fantastic, but every time I read it I feel like I've entered a time warp. She calls Operating Instructions her anti-Bush baby book.

I have not read Hard Laughter yet and had a difficult time getting my hands on Blue Shoe - I ended up purchasing it second hand from a used book store in State College, PA because I could not find it anywhere else.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Jenn! I don't have Traveling Mercies, but I'll have to check it out.