has got to stop. I'm going to carve out time every night to read, as I so love to do. So tonight I find myself 77 pages into Operating Instructions, by Anne Lamott:
Anne and I have several things in common, one being that we share a name, although I have her first name as my middle one. She is, like me, a baseball fan. Who can really blame her if she is a Giants fan who goes on and on about Canseco using steroids while her own team birthed Barry Bonds, the kind of the steroid? We all have our blind spots to hypocrisy that protect our heroes: mine is named Sosa. Anne lost her father too young as well. There is something else we have in common, too, but I don't feel up to writing about it right now.
Anyway, this is a quick read, and so far an interesting one. It's the story of the birth of Anne's son when she became a single mother at age 35. In the little bit of the book I've read, I already have found some favorite quotes:
- "One was no longer just some kid. One was suddenly a Diane Arbus character." (about being a junior high student)
- "In the old days the feeling of loathsomeness would have lasted for days, would have triggered that old familiar fear that if people could really know me, they would discovery that I make the Joan Collins character on "Dynasty" look like Hellen Keller." (after she thinks of her new book sales following the earthquake that disrupted the Bay Bridge World Series)
- "I never ever wish I hadn't had him." (regarding her son)

2 comments:
Greg Maddux is a freak. 8 innings, 3 hits and less than 2 hours. What? Did you have somewhere to be Greg? Did you have dinner reservations? Was there a tv. show you wanted to catch?
Why do his teammates play so much better in the field when he pitches? Cause they don't have to stand around and get bored.
Work quickly, throw strikes and get a head. That's his whole game plan right there.
Yes, he pitched an amazing game. Unfortunately, his agent is Scott Boras, who is already talking smack about all the options Greg will have at the end of this year. I just hope the Cubs don't lose him a second time.
Post a Comment