14 May 2006

I don't know what to say.

I'm deep in a Cubs funk . . . they seem to find a kaleidoscope of ways to lose games. Just when one thinks every way to lose has been exhausted, a new one springs up. There are no words.

This week marks the beginning of what I hope will be a long period of treating myself well. Today, that meant massive house-cleaning, tidying and several loads of laundry so that I will enjoy my home while I'm here. It also meant a long-overdue pedicure, at my favorite nail place that now is officially perfect, having installed the new kind of spa pedicure chair that includes a lovely, deep tissue massaging back:



I hold this chair responsible for giving me the zen-like sense of calm that enabled me to survive today's 9-0 Cubs loss. This will also involve making time to work out daily and finding a way to leave work at work so I will make time to do things for myself when I'm at home.

Have been reading the book, "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi and it finally has lured me in, with the beginning stages of our relationship being of the "I know it's good for me" type.

Off to continue the cleaning campaign, procure food and finish up a brief to be sent to the client tomorrow.

Have a fabulous week!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Keep at "Reading Lolita in Tehran". The payoff is immense.

I really want to know if you see parallels between the society Nafisi paints in her book and the United States of today.

Lisa said...

Jenn, okay, I'll keep at the book! I heard Nafisi speak in Dallas a month or so ago and was disappointed that she did not speak to the parallels in the two societies/eras. In fact, she seemed to go out of her way to be "politically correct" and make excuses for the current state of affairs in the U.S., which bothered me then, but is even more upsetting now that I am reading her book and know what she experienced. I'm considering writing her to ask about this, as I cannot stop wondering about it.