29 May 2006

Memorial Day Weekend Doings

As you may recall, I spent my Saturday back in the retro activity of babysitting. Our night was filled with all kinds of adventures, such as the "can I let the girl go swimming at a birthday party" dillemma, the "how do I get her to eat anything but candy" challenge and the "I can't believe I didn't realize she needed to go to the bathroom" shameful moment. All of these things are, of course, very common in parenthood, but very exotic and foreign to me. I don't have many photos from the evening because I was too busy trying to dodge landmines, but here are the few I took:

Nora showing off her talent, as May watches:



The magic behind the scenes:



On the way to pick up Claudia from a birthday party:




Sunday night was quite fun, as it was the first time my dog Kip and I have ever been to a baseball game together, thanks to the Texas Rangers' "Dog Night." Here is the "doggie will call" line:



Our neighbor in line was a devoted Rangers fan:


Unfortunately, I did not think ahead to obtain Cubs paraphenalia for Kip to wear, but I'll show you in a bit what he did wear.

Here he is inspecting one of the pools provided for the doggies:



Yes, that's a Texas Rangers scarf that was tied on his neck before I could stop the friendly greeters. And, yes, the exposure on this photo is jacked up--a "professional" photographer on the scene used my camera to photograph Kip and I together and changed the settings in such a way that several pictures turned out way too dark, until I caught it and changed the settings back.

Kip in his "seat," checking out the field:



I think he said, "uh bawl pork reely iz beeuteeful."

A neighbor dog:



The game gets underway:



For everyone I told I was bringing Kip to the game who has actually met Kip, the response was a horrified look and the query, "Why aren't you bringing Orley instead?" But Kip really did behave beautifully at the game--the only time he was a little excited was in the doggie will call line, when a nice but silly lady behind us gave him one treat, then kept pretending she was going back to the well for more treats--something that would drive any treat-loving dog crazy. Here, he makes friends:



And, to make it up to Orley for not going to the game, I gave her this baseball scarf that my friend's mom was sweet enough to make for the dogs:



This burly guy and his oh-so-cute dog amused me:



She did not leave his lap during the entire game, and watched it so intently that I think she had a tiny scorecard she was keeping on her owner's other knee:



Kip and I were joined by a friend of mine from work and her adorable dog:



Here, Kip and his new friend watch the game:



Before getting to know each other in the way one does while watching a baseball game:



The place was perfectly set up for dogs to take the necessary breaks, and there were no lines outside on the grass! But there was a "dog crossing":



Water--pant!--water--pant!--water!:



Kip said, "Eez Dayv reeli uz foonie uz hee lookz un teevee?"



There were lots of tiny dogs there, and lots of big and medium-sized ones, too--here's a tiny one:





This guy on the bottom right watched with his dog balanced on his legs, just as I'm sure he does at home:



It was a really beautiful night:



I can't think of a better time I've had with Kip. He seemed delighted by the outing and never seemed bored, with so much noise and so many people and dogs to greet and watch. I will definitely take him to Dog Night next year--what a great event!

3 comments:

Jay said...

Great pics Lisa. I think babysitting would kill me. haha I don't think there is any way I would be able to keep up with three kids. We would be playing "the silent game" about 5 mins after they got there.

Dog night at the ballpark is a brilliant idea. Lots of minor league teams have been doing this for a few years. The Rangers are the first MLB team I've heard of doing it.

Jenn said...

Kip looks like he is having the time of his life. And those girls are so beautiful!

Dog day would be an interesting thing to attempt at PNC. I would like to see how they pull it off.

Lisa said...

Thanks, el-amiro! It's a Nikon D70.