I awoke remarkably early for me--before 8 am on a Sunday--even before my alarm rang. Other than that, the day began as most Sundays do, with me eating breakfast in a hip urban diner while devouring the Sunday paper. Usually I read the New York times, but I saved that for later when I found myself wondering what is happening locally, swallowed hard, then dropped six quarters in a box and pulled out a copy of the Dallas Morning News. While reading that paper, I found the stories I wrote about on my blog earlier today and also pondered what possesses a man to wear his sunglasses hanging from the back of his shirt collar.
I drove home, a bit tired from the exertion of breakfast, as I had not yet fully recovered from the illness that kept me home on Friday. The Friday on which I was so exhausted, I left a full trash bag on my front porch, rather than carry it to the trash bin on the curb. I noticed Friday evening that an animal had ripped into the bag, but I was too feverish to deal with it. Climbing the dark red concrete steps to my house, I realized that the trash bag was gone. Apparently, someone saw the pathetic state of the trash bag took pity and carried it out to my trash can. I felt stunned that someone would care enough to perform that unenviable task for me.
Inside, I was surprised to find that I took an interest in how the inside of my house looks, something I have not cared about in a while. I washed three loads of laundry, emptied and filled and ran the dishwasher and whisked around my beloved little hand vacuum, giving the dogs treats to munch while I worked. I took pleasure in the process and was even inspired to shop online for new bedding while listening to the Cubs game.
What happened next is one of the most bizarre incidents of the day: I purchased bedding that is pink. Pink sheets, and a white duvet cover with various shades of large, abstract pink flowers. Pink. I'm sure you do not know this, as you only know me "virtually," but my bedding is all neutral colors (white and gray for summer, brown sugar colored for winter), and my wardrobe does not often stray from black, brown or other neutrals. There is very, very little pink in the wardrobe. But there is about to be pink and white in my bedroom.
Could this be the beginning of a renaissance? We shall see.
05 June 2006
I have no idea what got into me.
Posted by Lisa at 7:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I've been trying to post all day here, but blogger has been all bloggered up. We'll see if this works.
I don't know about th pink flowers. A little too girly for me.haha I'm just impressed that you have more than one set of bedding.
As for the pictures I like the one of the little boy on the tub turned upside down, the little boy in the rain, the multi colored tables, the little Westie in the window in the Paris post and the 1st sedona pic on the march 31st entry.
I have two theories on the sheets.
Theory 1: You are going through some significant changes in your life and it is manifesting itself in outward changes in your environment.
Theory 2: Sometimes you have to buy something girly =) to treat yourself and add some color to your life.
I can understand the surprise. J and I painted our bedroom a deep, deep red. In fact, it is the same color of red that is on our garage door. It is even the same paint. It is beautiful, but we were surprised that we went with such a radical color.
As for the photos, I love, love, love the cafe chairs and tables. I think you should try to sell that one to a travel guide. It is spectaular.
My other favorite is the couture in the window in Paris from December 2005
Thank you so, so much, you guys (both for the choices and the moral support!) As you can see, I have posted your picks below.
Jenn, I think both of your theories are probably true for me. I'm impressed that you guys went with a dark red bedroom--it sounds quite beautiful!
Post a Comment