02 June 2006

Is it possible to run out of words?

I hope not. But I will admit I have been preoccupied with other things and have not been a faithful updater of my blog lately. I figure there is only so much self-loathing you guys will put up with before bailing altogether, and my immersion in work recently hasn't left me with much energy for observation of things outside my own head. This, too, shall pass, I think.

I am home today, experiencing the joys of a summer cold/very sore throat combined with a fever. The handy thing is how I can warm my cold hand on my hot cheek. I'm so out of it, I just had to think hard about how to spell "cheek" (with a "ck" at the end, or with just a "k"?). You may find amusing, as I did, this missive from an opposing counsel who is handling something we're working on together in my absence today:

I hope you are feeling better and I am sure you will soon. I can not
imagine a Lisa unable to talk.
Neither can I. So, although I know my voice will return, I hope I haven't run out of words for my blog.

In other news, I took some steps this week to move forward with my civil rights work dream. Just making some progress, any progress, gives me a sense of hopefulness and peace. Whoo!

In other other news, my Cubs, who have made quiet little gasps of life in the last week, will play the much hated Redbirds (aka Cardinals) in a weekend series starting tonight. So I must stay with it enough to hear these games, yes, I must. O, Cubs, please continue your winning record against these hated Redbirds, whom I saw you sweep at Wrigley back in the lovely month of April.

In other other other news, I haven't yet finished "Reading Lolita in Tehran," but have turned to "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss, as it's a page turner and was sitting there taunting me after I heard the author read from it a few Fridays ago. The story is beautiful, though you have to pay attention to keep from getting lost in the shifting but parallel story lines.

In Highland Park, kids just want to watch "porn" on their own, not with teachers.

Finally, a public service message: if you want the federal government to protect you from terrorists, be sure not to fax something they wanted emailed.

Napping now . . .

2 comments:

Jay said...

I hope you get to feeling better fast, Lisa. But I hope that the Cubs dont' cheer you up this weekend. haha

If the Cubs sweep the Cards that will leave them only 10.5 games back!

Actually, I have to admit, a Cub sweep wouldn't surprise me. The Cards just don't look right. They might be 5 games up on the central division, but it doesn't look or feel like it.

Right now I think the Cards are the worst 1st place team in baseball. I'm definately worried that it might all collapse with Edmonds on the DL and maybe gone for the year.

Jenn said...

Sleep well and feel better. I hope the Cubs do well.