27 June 2006

The least beautiful photo I have ever taken.

I needed to think for a while about one of the photos I took this weekend before posting it.
I needed to think about what it means to me, and what it could mean to you, and whether it could possibly make a difference to post it. My hesitation was borne of worry that I would be invading someone's privacy by posting it.

This is ironic, given that the man in the photo has no privacy. He is homeless. I photographed him sleeping outside, in midday, with his head propped on his shoes and his dirty socks hanging out there for all the world to see. What I assume are all of his worldly possessions were at his side in a stroller (in a truly illogical effort to battle homelessness, Dallas outlawed possession of shopping carts by those who do not own said carts, resulting in homeless folks pushing their belongings around in anything with wheels that is not a shopping cart).

I was moved by him and I hope you are, too:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There is no excuse for a country with our means to have citizens living under these conditions. No. Excuse. Whatsoever.

Please read here about some of the many ways in which you can help the homeless, both generally and in New York. The Doe Fund is a program to which I have donated for years, because I like their creativity, dedication and effectiveness. If you want to point your time and/or money in a local direction, I'm sure there are organizations in your hometown--please look them up!

2 comments:

Jay said...

Another great organization to support is ACORN. It is an anti-poverty organization based in Little Rock. There was just a write-up about them in the NY Times recently.

www.acorn.org

Betty said...

I understand your hesitation in posting the picture. I took a picture of a homeless man asleep on the sidewalk in New Orleans and felt, vaguely, that I had somehow invaded his privacy.