15 July 2006

For four days, I am at home.

I realized when stepping out of the cab at my hotel today that I could breathe freely for the first time in a long time.

I learned that New York is the kind of place where one can unexpectedly happen upon a Bastille Day boulle tournament on her way to lunch, where people are drinking champagne and flinging shining silver balls down a sand-covered court in the middle of the street.

I concluded that there are few Friday afternoons better than one spent perusing the New York Times in a favorite French/Brazilian cafe while enjoying a fresh salmon feta omelette, mesclun salad and a glass of excellent Italian pinot blanco.

I realized that New York is a place where you can still find things to do after waking up at 2:00 a.m. from a really long nap, such as finding a slice of pizza, enjoying a glass of wine at a favorite cafe and then taking in a live Pink Floyd singalong under the arch in Washington Square Park on your way home for the night, complete with guitar, flute, bongos and the aroma of marijuana smoke floating in the air.

I realized that New York is where one goes when they cannot wait to have a life at a later time.

4 comments:

Jay said...

If I got the chance I would move to NYC in a heartbeat. I absolutely know I would love it.

jd said...

You could just stay. Just send for your dogs. Now that would be radical decision. Very New York like.

Kell said...

It sounds so wonderful. I don't think I even know what a mescaline salad is.

Lisa said...

Jay, yes, I think you would, with your keen philosopher's eye and ear!

JD, I can't believe you put my thoughts into words like that--be careful, I just might! ;P

Kell, I wish you were here to enjoy it! It is a salad with a certain type of greens (they are what I would call "wild greens") and a very light dressing that is somewhat sweet. I'll bet you've had one before and they just didn't call it that.