Setting: waiting room in a car dealership service department
(Internet photo--not mine)
Four women quietly await the repair of their cars while watching a little television, until a fifth woman arrives. Woman 5 arrives, breathlessly lugging a large work file stuffed with documents spilling out of colored folders. She takes a seat in the middle of the other 4 women, immediately pulls her cell phone out of her purse, dials and has the following conversation . . . . .
Woman 5: (leaving message in the same volume of voice she would use if talking to someone standing on the other side of a large room) blah, blah, blah . . . bring my inspector to the house this week. Oh, hi, Celia!
. . . . .
You looked great! Jim and I couldn't believe it! You didn't look older than 34 or 35! You looked SO great!
. . . . .
We need to get together and date sometime soon. You'll do great!
. . . . .
No, really, you looked so great. Seriously!
. . . . .
Yes, I know how that is. When I married Bob, I had such a better job than him and I was much more financially successful than him. Then we moved here, and I still had a way better job and was making so much more money than him. And I couldn't take him to work events, because all he could do is stand there and look blonde and good. And he did look really good, but he couldn't talk to anyone. The real problem was that my job was so much better than his. So that was it--we divorced.
. . . . .
Oh, he is more taken by me than any man I have ever known. He is SO into me! We just returned from St. Baarts.
. . . . .
But you look so great! Jim and I both thought so! Really, so great!
25 July 2006
A scene from the car dealership service department
Posted by Lisa at 7:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Luckily that woman isn't too self-absorbed. I know two women who were really successful and they both either dated or married men who were high school drop outs and blue collar workers. I guess they did just so they could tell everyone who much more successful and smarter they were than their men. Strange really.
In other news, did you see where Donald Trump says he would be interested in buying the Cubs??
http://tinyurl.com/frnkx
Well, isn't that great? At least you know that she really looked great! Aren't you glad you part of such a great conversation? Sheesh.
She was definitely a piece of work. If I hadn't been trying to fight through the disruption of her loud and grating voice to do some work of my own, I would have done a better job of transcribing her incredible conversation.
Phil, I love that snippet from the shop! Roll it up!
Post a Comment