Yesterday I had a really bad day at work. Nothing terrible happened, it was just the kind of day where you get a call at 7:30 a.m. telling you to be somewhere an hour away without any prior notice, even though you have something to do for that same client that requires you to be in the office all day, and then have six other things that are all time sensitive, going on all at once. No big deal--it's what I do--but it does not add up to a "take things at your own pace" kind of day.
Anyway, I was on my way home later that night and had ordered dinner to pick up on the way (having skipped lunch), and I called a friend to see what was going on. Next thing I knew, my friend and I and another friend (new to me) were all sitting on a porch, drinking wine and talking about deep things like whether God exists and what a true conservative is and and what defines meaning in what we do on a daily basis.
Oh, and how I learned yesterday that there is a realm of vulgarity with which I am not comfortable, a lesson acquired when an otherwise professional-seeming opposing counsel used the phrase "creaming in his pants" in the context of a settlement discussion (you don't want to know the context, believe me). I felt downright Victorian in my reaction to her phraseology.
My point, dear readers, was that the hectic day was long-forgotten while I talked 'isms and 'illogies with my friends, old and new, whom I very much appreciate and value.
06 April 2007
Good friends
Posted by Lisa at 10:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Glad you were able to turn your day around. Sounds like a wonderful way to unwind from the day.
OK, if you don't want to go in to this that's, of course, completely fine but the thing that has me curious is why that was particularly vulgar to you. I can see, generally, how you'd find it vulgar but you wrote it down, so it didn't bug you enough not to do that. Was it the context? Did you say you thought it was vulgar to this to the person? I'm not asking you to write these things down but would it have been comments that were generally along the same line that would have bugged you, too, or was it particularly this comment? People who know me well know that I'll sometimes push a limit when talking in the social realm and, on more than occasion, I've crossed some sort of line that, because of the person's reaction to other comments I saw as similar, I didn't think they'd be offended by. You've wandered in to a little topic that interests me.
Kell: thanks for the moral support!
Popeye, I am amused by your interest. Yes, I think it was the context, because bizarrely, my friend's friend used the same phrase that very night in a different context and I did not find it nearly as shocking. I think it was more shocking in the work context because I was having what was a professional conversation, in which I had used no vulgarities or phrases like that, with a person I did not expect to use any vulgarities or phrases like that. I don't know if that answers your questions, but . . .
Post a Comment