30 April 2007

How do you change?

I have been struggling for a while with trying to make a change. Well, to be honest, there are several things I want to change, but this one is particularly important. I have thought and thought and thought about it. I have tried to simply make the change. I have tried to envision my life after making this change. I returned to my therapist after a long absence in search of the wisdom I need to do this. All to no avail.

The thing I'm trying to change is a relatively new thing, something that wasn't even a factor in my life until the last five years or so. So why am I having such a difficult time rooting it out?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

Marsosudiro said...

Goodness, that's a profound blog and question...

I'm a bit fuzzy right now from a too-large lunch but hope to revisit this question later (at least with regard to how I change).

But what I seem to be getting more clear on is that "it's easier to behave your way into new thinking than it is to think your way into new behavior" (to paraphrase consultant and professor Jim Clemmer, writer and therapist Thomas Moore, and many others).

Jenn said...

Because change, even good change, can be downright terrifying.

Sometimes you have to stop thinking and just do...

Jay said...

I wish I had some profound and brilliant answer here. But, I don't.

In fact, if you do figure this out, please let me know.

Marsosudiro said...

Let's not forget the wisdom of Wayne and Garth.

"We fear change"
"Change is evil"

Helena said...

I agree that change is often frightening. Sometimes it can be an escape. The unsurity is often worse than the deed. Good Luck.

Lisa said...

I find it fascinating that so many of you invoked fear as a barrier to change. When I spoke with my therapist about the thing I want to change, it became clear that she thinks the thing itself is the result of fear. So fear is causing it, and fear is preventing me from changing it.

Hilarious. And scary!