I have been leading you all on.
For the last week, I’ll bet you thought I was typing blog posts on my old laptop, the beautiful Sony Vaio with which I was quite smitten, so much so that I even posted a picture about it here. I have been deceiving you, as my old laptop is not serving me in the role she once enjoyed. Here is the sad, sad story.
About six months ago, as I waited in the sheep pen that is an aisle full of airplane passengers anxious to deplane, the bag holding my beloved Vaio took a dive to the aisle floor. While her heart and brain survived intact, she suffered the computer equivalent of a broken hip when the plastic casing around one of the two connectors between laptop screen and body snapped. For several months, my laptop limped alone while I oh-so-gently opened and closed her lame screen, hoping that rehabilitation would be possible. It was not possible, however. Rather, the metal lever connecting her screen and body, shorn of its protective plastic covering, gave way, with the result being a separation between the screen and its plastic frame that caused me to fear total computer meltdown, electrocution or worse.
I quietly began a search for another laptop, feeling slightly guilty about doing so on my beloved and soon-to-be replaced laptop. Several agonizing hours were spent search web sites, wondering things like whether my law practice would come to a screeching halt if I forced an Apple computer to process Word documents and whether I could live with a smaller screen in trade for a lighter, more battery-preserving model. I ultimately returned to Sony, the maker of my beloved laptop, and puchased another Vaio, this one with a 13.3 inch screen, weighing just over half as much as my other laptop and with a super-long life battery. That laptop arrived last Tuesday and after much hand-wringing about new-computer things like the idiosyncracies of Microsoft Vista , it is on that laptop that I type this post.
Why have I chosen this moment in which to inform you of my acquisition, you ask? I realized just now that I have been holding my breath all week while I considered returning the laptop to Sony in exchange for a different model more like my old one. But on this flight from Chicago to Dallas, I am enjoying typing this post while watching an episode of The West Wing and see the battery has several hours of life remaining. My back isn’t aching from lugging a heavy laptop around. And I think I’m sold. Sold on this new light and nimble laptop that I think I’ll keep after all.

3 comments:
What a lovely written piece. I feel similarly about my guitar who is 20 odd years old now. One day I know he will have to be replaced.
I wish you and your new computer a happy unite.
Good choice. I have found Apple's battery life to be terrible. Plus trying to do track changes in Word from an Apple to a Windows machine would have been a nightmare. I only survive in business with an Apple by converting everything to PDF and having a Dell desktop as a backup.
I can relate to your mishap. I dropped a laptop at the airport a few years ago and cracked the screen. It was a sad, sad day.
Thanks, Lena, it is nice to have you visit here! I like the idea of a person being so fond of her guitar.
JD, I am sorry to hear about your laptop's demise! That must have been unimaginably painful. So far, I am delighted with the physical size, speed and battery life of this laptop . . . any quibbles really relate to the nonsensical nature of Windows Vista.
Post a Comment