Really, I feel like a 5 year old these days. At work, at home, everywhere, I have an attention span as long as the largest word The Shrub can pronounce correctly. I don't know why. Perhaps it is the onset of Spring weather. Perhaps not. At any rate, I'm going to give you a few random snippets I have pulled out of my memory banks while daydreaming recently.
This winter, I went to my college to attend a memorial service for my favorite professor. Afterward, there was a reception in a church hall. I scanned the crowd, trying to find someone, anyone, who was familiar to me. First I saw another of my professors and his wife. Then I saw a few fellow psychology majors. There was this other guy, one who sat behind me at the service, who looked really familiar, but I wasn't sure how I knew him. I wracked my brain and just couldn't come up with the connection. He was really handsome, but I knew he wasn't a student with me. Later, I was introduced to him by someone else I was chatting with, and it came to me. Before I could think about it, these words popped out of my mouth: "I know you--you were my doctor in college!" The moment the words came out, I was mortified. But it's true: he was my physician during school. And yep, that pretty much ended the conversation, especially when some freak standing nearby made a comment about how he hoped I hadn't been fooled by the guy pretending he was a doctor.
On a totally different note: do you ever wonder about the whereabouts of past crushes or significant others? Not in a stalking way and not in an "I wish I was with him" kind of way, but just in an "I'm curious about whatever became of him" sort of way. I have found myself having those kinds of wonderings lately. Whatever happened to Scott Stephenson, the first crush I remember having, who moved away to Colorado in the third grade (or so) due to his dad being transferred? And what about Moses, the guy I met during my short tenure as a Bennigan's hostess, with whom I ended an otherwise promising relationship for reasons I no longer remember? Jim, of that last carefree high school summer--what has life tossed his way? And what in the world might Wesley, he of the Winnie-the-Pooh tattoo and chosen last name "Robin," be up to these days? I hope their lives have turned out well, as they were each wonderful in their own way.
During my fit of bathroom closet cleaning a few weeks ago, I discovered a stash of jewelry I forgot I had. Some of the pieces hold huge sentimental value for me, for varying reasons. But the ring I put on that day, and have worn every day since, is a small gold one made of two tiny intertwined dolphins. The feel of the metal around my finger brought back vivid memories of the day I purchased the ring, during my post-bar exam backpacking trip to Europe. I was hiking up a really steep hill in Athens, Greece, where friends and I were killing some time before boarding a ferry to the islands. The hill was lined with tiny shops and we ducked in and out as our whims dictated, inspecting the wares to see if a trip souvenir was at hand. In one of the shops, I saw my cute little ring and knew instantly that I wanted it. While I stood at the cash register chatting with the friendly native/shop owner, I admired the framed photo on the wall, in which he stood with his arm around none other than then-President Bill Clinton. Having this ring on my finger again reminds me not only of the circumstance of my purchasing it. When I wear it, I smell the warm, spicy Athens air, feel my muscles straining to climb that hill and feel the lightheartedness that ran like a river through that entire trip, and through my life at that time.
See, I told you: random thoughts.
21 March 2006
My attention span is seriously lacking.
Posted by Lisa at 9:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Nothing wrong with taking little trips down memory lane every now and then. I think we have to so that we can kind of assess where we are in life and where we should go from there.
Of course, my trips down memory lane are usually painful. I focus so much on all the mistakes I made and get all depressed. LOL
Oh, Jay, I'm the queen of second-guessing myself and working the mistakes over and over in my brain! I've gotten a little better at it lately, but still have to fight the urge.
Hey, speaking of this, when is your class reunion? :P
Is is not funny how we attach memories to objects? Especially objects we bring back from traveling. They seem to have a more powerful pull on our psyche.
Yes, I totally agree! My favorite decoarative objects in my house and my office all came from my travels.
Post a Comment