23 April 2006

Baby steps

In addition to trying to be more positive, I want to keep promises I make to myself. Today was a good first step in that direction: I actually awoke at 7:00 a.m. and hustled off to the lake for a bike ride. It was a gorgeous day to be there in the early morning. I rode for about an hour, covering 9 miles and taking nearly a hundred photographs along the way. Here are some of them:

As you can see, it was overcast at the beginning of my ride:



The spillway was operating at not-quite-full capacity:



The railing of the bridge near the spillway is rusting beautifully:


This crane always wanted to be in the circus:



View of the lake beyond the spillway:



Sunrise:



Defenseless joggers--an adversary Bush thought he could actually beat:



My bike and the newest White Rock bridge lying before it:



Boat docks and driftwood:



Dock, horizontal:



The ducks challenge the boats to a race:


The Bath House Cultural Center, an example of the Lake's art deco architecture style:



Creek and bridge near Buckner Road:


Meadow, showing that the Lake offers a bit of every kind of natural habitat:



The boaters set sail:


Feeding the ducks, with Pumphouse in the background:



Rounding the bend:

4 comments:

Jay said...

WOW Those are great pics Lisa. That's a really beautiful area to go for a bike ride or a walk.

I don't spend much time in the forums at Daily KOS. I used to spend time on Atrios, but found those people to be as extreme and intolerant of non-far left views as people like James Dobson and Jerry Fallwel.

You can't engage in a decent discussion over there because you get swamped by a certain group as soon as you say something that doesn't follow their beliefs.

For example I tried to explain one day that Bob Casey being pro-life wouldn't hurt the Dems if he beat Santorum in PA. The idea is to get control of the Senate. As long as the Dems have control, anti-abortion measures won't get to the floor. They called me every name in the book and kept saying I wasn't a true Democrat and on and on, and as it went on it got more and more personal. So, I haven't been back to the comments section since.

I still go to Atrios and DKos but only for the links to stories. Not for any discussions.

Jenn said...

Beautiful pictures.

Lisa, I posted on DKos infrequently and have stopped reading it most days because of what you observed: the amount of intolerance that seems to mirror the type of attitude I see in the right.

Jay, as a resident of the state of PA, thanks for sticking up for Bob Casey.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the photo compliments, both of you! Glad to hear I'm not the only one tired of D Kos. I feel calmer already!

DA said...

Wonderful pictures Lisa. Great exercize..