Here I sit in my new office, which is almost decorated now, blogging! You see, I will not "blog" from my work computer, but when I brought my laptop here so that I could have a movie playing while I toil, I discovered that another advantage of the new office is its proximity to free wireless access! So this is an unexpected luxury.
Yesterday's move was tiring, sweaty and full of small decisions, but the outcome has been good. I like my new office a lot and think the peacefulness of this quiet corner will benefit my work immensely. However, with this move I found, to my not-entirely-surprised dismay--that a bigger office, even a lovely corner one, does not make up for the fact that I am not doing the work I want so badly to do. Yes, I knew this would be the case, but was hoping it would be different, I think.
On what is shaping up to be a gorgeous Saturday morning outside, I feel deflated. I brought the movie Shopgirl to watch in hopes that it would make my briefing time go by more quickly, but it only depressed me. I am counting on an afternoon of Cubs baseball to distract me and help lift this malaise.
Here are a few of my favorite photos . . . each of them hangs in my new office:

UPDATE: The Cubs game--which my team lost by the stunning score of 16-2--did not provide the solace for which I had hoped. However, before it began, I was able to end my malaise as any good Dallasite does--with a bit of shopping! I found some beautiful potpourri to get the windex smell out of my office and some bright flowers to add a bit of color to the place, then filled the large blank expanse of wall directly across from my desk with a simple but stunning painting of Manhattan at night. The painting is my way of reminding myself of my dreams while earning the money to fund them!
29 April 2006
Saturday thoughts
Posted by Lisa at 10:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love, love, love those photos. Absolutely spectacular.
I have not seen "Shopgirl" yet. I'm almost afraid, since I read the book and I'm not sure if the film version can live up to what is in my head.
Anniversaries are tough, especially the ones that bring up bittersweet or negative memories. Hang in there.
Thanks, Jenn! The top photo was taking from my second story porch in Dallas in the winter. We have spectacular sunsets here. The bottom photo was taken from my friend's apartment porch in Houston, on an overcast Saturday morning. I couldn't believe how well either of them turned out!
I have both read the book and seen the movie of Shopgirl, and I think you would like the movie. It is very well done, and both Steve Martin and Clare Danes are wonderful.
has my life become
silhouette
the sky waiting
dark leaves overhead
the antonymous voice
again to speak
why will you never hear
all the words i would say
the dark leaves
overhead
the sky
waiting
Thank you, Tanner--how lovely!
Lou, the lens of the sunset shot was whatever stock lens comes with the D70 kit from Wolf Camera. No filters were used.
I had a polarizing filter for my F70 (non-digital SLR) and occasionally used it. I think it would probably fit my D70, but haven't tried it out. Thanks for the tip . . . I'll see what I can do with it!
Regarding the selection of my camera, I do not believe the D50 was out yet when I purchased my D70. You have probably seen this, but here is a nice comparison of the two cameras:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/
I'm not sure which I would choose if I had a choice.
Post a Comment