The day started out oddly, when I awoke at 9:30 a.m. due to last night's storm-induced power outage silencing my alarm clock. I took advantage of driving to work at an hour when stores are actually open to order new glasses, very much in need because mine have been ailing. I was disproportionately excited by my purchase, which I was able to pick up on the way home from work. Two pairs, because I'm greedy like that.
These are my favorites, with a dark brown tortoiseshell top and an open bottom:
But I dig these as well:
Despite my new accessory/necessity that brought my eyewear into this decade, I now am heartbroken because of this little bit of news, that Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee seems to have broken 2 bones in his wrist in last night's collision at first base in Dodger Stadium. He will be out at least 6 weeks and possibly as long as 3 months. Damn you, Rafael Furcal, damn you!!! I'll admit it: I was starting to think this might be the Cubs' year--they are only 1/2 game out right now and look to have more heart and character than I have seen in them as a whole in a really long time. Now I fear the loss of Lee is the death knell of the season, and only a few short weeks after it began. Lee is the heart of the team and will be much missed. But perhaps those Cubs will surprise me, as they did when they rallied to a win last night after Lee suffered his injury.
20 April 2006
What a day.
Posted by Lisa at 8:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Rocking glasses!
Sorry to hear about Derrek Lee. Its always painful when a player is injured like that. Have faith. The Cubs have a good team this year.
Thanks, Jenn, for the compliment and the moral support. You never know--this could be the rallying point that really solidifies the team. Are you a Phillies fan?
I'm not really a fan of any particular team, except that I categorically hate the Braves. I used to root for the Pirates, but I've developed a serious apathy towards the team over the past several years. I only have enough emotional energy to be loyal to one bad team, and I understand hockey better than I understand baseball =).
Funny story. A year and a half ago we were in Paris during the playoffs. Like the rest of the country, I really wanted the Cubs and the Red Sox to make it, and I would get up in the middle of the night to check out the highlights. The first thing I asked the custom's agent in Boston when we got off the plane was whether the Red Sox beat the Yankees, because they played the game while we were in flight!
He was very nice to us after I did my happy dance in the middle of the line.
It's really terrible news about Lee. He's been such a great leader for that team, and has been so durable up until this.
But, let's be serious here. It was only a a matter of time. We are talking about the Cubs here. Lee signed a $65 Million Dollar contract with the Cubs just last week. Everybody knew he would get hurt. That's the way things go for the Cubs.
But, the Cubs are not a bad team. They will hang in there. And, don't forget they will get Pryor and Wood back. Well, for a few weeks, then they'll both get hurt again.
God, I admire Cubs fans. You guys have to put up with so much.
Cool glasses though.
Post a Comment