11 October 2006

Baseball talk

I have been closely watching the playoffs this year, while keeping a watchful eye on the Cubs' choice of a new manager. Today's Sun-Times features a well-written story about Lou Piniella, one of the leading contenders for the job. My heart wants Joe Girardi, but my head is leaning toward Lou Piniella. I can actually visualize the Cubs winning a World Series with Lou. The Cubs are supposed to make a choice by the end of next week, so hopefully my suspense will be short-lived.

And how about those Detroit Tigers? Their whomping of Barry Zito and the A's last night was a joy to behold. Steve at Digital Janitor made reference in the comments to the Tigers' celebration with their fans after winning the first round of the playoffs, and it is truly something worth watching. Seeing the players share their joy with manager Lloyd McClendon and the fans brought tears to my eyes. If you would like to see this clip, go here and click on the "Clinch Time" square (the sixth in line in the top left corner box), then click on "Tigers Advance" to see the video.

Well, this is annoying: MLB seems to have scheduled both of tonight's playoff games to start at the same time, depriving me of 3 glorious hours of baseball listening. Argh!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dusty Baker, former Cubs manager (Copyright by Me)

2 comments:

jd said...

I'd vote for Lou. I fondly remember attending Game 1 of the World Series when Lou led the Cincinnati Reds to victory.

Jay said...

I would vote for Lou too. I think everything Giradi is, Lou is too several times over.

The Cards/Mets game was postponed because of rain, so only one game. I don't think MBL is doing the scheduling. I think FOX has control over game times.