15 October 2006

I am shy?

I came all the way to DC to attend the national conference of the organization I most want to work or volunteer for. I spent time with the people from my state's affiliate at a pre-dinner event, which was great. I attended the first night's dinner for the entire group of what appears to be 1000 plus people, which was both informative and entertaining. And now, here I am upstairs in my hotel room, feeling timid--timid about going down there and meeting people I do not know.

I am not sure why I feel this way. It could be that over dinner, I received a few looks like "you are Satan" from people after they learned I am a management-side employment lawyer. Maybe I need to come up with a different way to explain what I do, but I say it in a way that is neither apologetic nor confrontational. Whether I brought it on myself or not, I have to say it doesn't feel good to encounter that response. But I'm not sure if that's it--it could just be an inexplicable case of nervousness driven by the fact that this is so, so important to me.

But I know I need to overcome this and get back downstairs, because it is one of the few opportunities I will have to meet these people from all over the country, who share many of the viewpoints I have (though not all, as I discovered while listening to the speakers at dinner--read: abortion and affirmative action). Heck, I'm in the District of Columbia, and there are a million things to see here--I should get out there and see some of them.

Any words of wisdom/moral support are very much appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As far as people freaking out about what you do? I get a similar reaction for different reasons. Stick around long enough that they can get to know you a little and like who you are even if they don't like what you do. Remember you're not there for long. Look for people you'd like to meet and then meet them. Be persistant. And, most importantly, don't take any of this too, too seriously. We're all just stumbling along; we all sometimes feel as though we're faking it; we all find ourselves humbled by some of the people we meet; we all feel at risk for being rejected; all of us, including the very next person you talk to.

jd said...

I think Popeye said it well. You are a great attorney and from reading your blog it sounds like you have won some significant victories for your clients. Having said that, one can still be an excellent professional, have great friendships, and still hate events that require you to mingle and meet strangers. I speak in front of large groups all the time, but still hate cocktail parties. Bottom line is you'll just have to push yourself until you strike up a friendship with one or two of them.

Lisa said...

Wow, thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. Just for today, I shall overcome!