I wish I was a more thoughtful person. For years, I thought about writing a little note to thank the man who founded my first law firm, a kind and decent and humble man who took time to talk to silly first year lawyers like me. But I didn't, and then he died last year, and I was sorry I never sent him the note I thought about writing all those years.
Tonight, I ran across a note someone sent me seven years ago. I have managed to keep track of that note all this time, despite having the least organized home ever. I have taken care to keep track of it because it meant so much to me. The note is from one of the attorney/instructors from a great trial advocacy workshop I attended that summer. I came out of the workshop with the confidence that I knew how to construct a good cross-examination, but feeling unsure about my "style." We talked a lot about style and I saw people with all kinds of styles at the workshop . . . I worried that I wasn't crisp or commanding enough to impress a judge or jury.
And then, a handwritten note came in the mail, penned in green ink by one of my favorite instructors. I won't transcribe it here, as to do so would somehow seem to make it a little less special. But I still pull out his note and read his words again whenever I doubt myself. He assured me that I can excel at this thing called the law while being myself, finding particular qualities in me that I sometimes find myself having to strain hard to see.
I mention this because I'll bet you know someone, whether a family member or a coworker or an acquaintance, whose day would be made by receiving a kind note from you. It would only take five minutes for you to write such a note. What are you waiting for?
15 April 2007
The Power of a Few Thoughtful Words
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
OK, here goes. Lisa, I really enjoy reading your blog. I admire your obvious love of and dedication to the law. I'm sure you are very effective in any area that you choose, be it the courtroom or the corporate world. Do you have aspire to a judgeship at any point in your career?
I butchered that last question, didn't I? Please ignore the word "have" in front of "aspire". Sheesh!
I have some people on that list of who I should thank. You're right, I should just do it.
Gorgeous photo!
Oh, Betty, you are so sweet! Please know I wasn't fishing for compliments for me personally . . . but I do so appreciate your kind words. As for your question, I did once want to be a judge, but I have done enough stupid things in my life that I do not think that is an option for me.
Thanks, Kell!
Post a Comment