20 October 2005

Back . . . and full of beans. But soon to be in Chicago.

As frequent readers know, I am a devotee of the web site Overheard in New York. Here are my two favorites from a recent perusal of their many offerings--these both pertaining to public transportation humor:

Conductor: Step in and stand clear of the doors, folks. If you can't fit, wait for the next train. This is not the last helicopter off the top of the embassy.

--1 train

Bus driver: Lady, you want to tell your kid to put her head back inside the window? She would look stupid with it off.

--B1 bus

Anyway, I'm sorry, Faithful Readership, for having been so grumpy this week. I think it's a combination of being super busy at work and feeling overloaded with anticipation and anxiety about the (hopefully) impending indictments of at least Scooter Libby and Karl Rove, and perhaps even Dick Cheney. Also, I find myself feeling bitter (not to mention full of sniffles) because, as I feared and predicted, my likeable colleague who chose to come to work for a week--correct that--not just come to work, but mingle amongst us regularly--with a cold that sure seemed a lot like strep throat has now passed her illness along to me.

So here I am, about to jet off to Chicago tomorrow night, hoping desperately that this cold will fade fast so that I can enjoy some time with my special someone and watch the White Sox give the Astros a good old-fashioned tail-kicking in the first two games of the World Series. Someone needs to remind those Astros boys with a history of ugly orange rainbow-striped uniforms why they have never before been to a World Series, and the mean old White Sox are just the team to do it (I hope):


Barring a miracle, I do not believe we will watch this Sporting Event to Remember in person, as ticket "brokers" are pricing the small pieces of paper required for admission as if folks just happen to have a small car or house sitting around waiting to be traded in for a ticket. When the tickets first went on sale, I found myself feeling a bit desperate to have one and nearly entered into a business transaction with a man who mysteriously found himself in Rome, unable to go to the World Series, due to an unspecified "family problem." That, and the fact that: (a) he had a hard time writing in English; (b) his tickets were priced significantly lower than the others; and (c) he wanted the money via Western Union (although the official broker was supposedly going to only give him the money transfer pickup number after I received and approved the tickets) all added up to give me a funny "too good to be true" feeling about the deal, so I didn't do it.

In addition to taking in some baseball, I plan to soak up some culture while in Chicago. For instance, the Chicago Art Institute has a few photography exhibits that I'm excited to check out:


(Photo credit to the Missouri State University Anthropology Club) One such exhibit is Abelardo Morell's Camera Obscura Photographs and the other is Paris: Photographs From a Time That Was. Ah, Paris, how I miss you. It occurs to me that I should consider going to Paris this Christmas. This is something I have been pondering for a few years now, and Christmas is an especially good time for planning a getaway from work, because if there is one thing litigators don't like to do, it is litigate around the holidays.

Anyway, I also intend to pay my first-ever visit to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago:


(Photo credit to Galinsky) I'm not sure why, in all of my time spent in Chicago, I have never before visited this museum. Probably because it never occurred to me that there could be more than the fabulous Art Institute has to offer in a single town--that just wouldn't be fair. Especially when the Art Institute has this:


(Credit for Chagall windows photo to this unknown fellow Photobucketeer). I remember sitting on a step near those windows as I learned from the guy refinishing the hardwood floors in my house back in Texas that he had nearly smashed the Depression glass that is my sole remaining possession of my Grandmother's. Happy times.

Besides trying to cross off these two items on my wish list of museum visits and taking in lots of baseball, I am hoping to squeeze in a visit to this fabulous place:



Ah, well, I am off to slay dragons in the Wonderful World of the Law for yet another day. I will try to write again before I head out of town, but if I cannot, please do have a fabulous weekend, and we shall talk again soon.

P.S. If you would like to read something that will make you feel better about the effort you bring to your job, check out this amusing story in the Washington Post, about how a person nominated for one of nine positions on the U.S. Supreme Court, arguably one of the most prestigious jobs in the land, had her job application (questionnaire) returned to her for additional work because it was incomplete. Geez.

0 comments: