17 October 2005

No, I have not spontaneously combusted.



Though I came very, very close . . . what with the full head of steam I worked up this weekend regarding Judith Miller. Today my energies were directed elsewhere, at work, personally and in other matters of national importance.

We'll skip right over work. I'm a lawyer and have nothing very interesting to report about my day. At least nothing I can write about here.

We'll skip right over personal, as it may also get me in trouble to write about that here (in case you're reading, dear boyfriend, please know this does not refer to you, but rather to the matter of me being forced to pay much more than my fair share at lunch (OOPS), so don't worry that you are in trouble and don't even know it!) :)

So that brings us to the matters of national importance (said as tongue in cheek as it is possible to say something), which are as follows:

First, I spoke my mind about my law school's decision to invite John Yoo (AKA Alberto Gonzales' Right Hand Man of Torture) to participate in a debate--for which he will be paid --regarding "Considering Civil Rights in Times of Terror." To be clear, I support the debate, but believe that inviting Yoo to participate is the equivalent of asking a Nazi war criminal to participate in a debate on the pros and cons of genocide. Of some comfort is that clearly, Yoo won't have much to say, given that he did not "consider" civil rights at all, having given them very short shrift in the context of Iraq and Guantanamo. Sadly, my dissent had no effect in whether he will actually speak. I am, however, mildly heartened to report that the Dean was thoughtful and receptive in response to my concerns. That said, I will be donating differently to the school in the future, so as to ensure that my hard-earned pennies do not line the pockets of Torture Mongers and the Like.

Second, I began digging into my newest project, which is to set forth for all to see the details of the complex and challenging legal work in which Harriet Miers engaged while practicing in Dallas. Yes, folks, I am examining the dockets and other district clerk records concerning each of the cases she worked on (the federal ones, anyway, which are all I have time to pull and review) so that I can then provide this information which the world awaits breathlessly. Of course, Miers was operating at such a high level--breach of contract cases can be tough, y'all!!!--that my brain grows tired after thinking of just one or two of her contributions to jurisprudence. No worries, I will soldier on and do what I must for our country's benefit.

P.S. If you cannot smell the snark in this paragraph a mile away, you're reading the wrong blog. Please check out Bill O'Reilly's diary if you want to read something more your speed.

P.P.S. Lest you think I have no heart whatsoever after reading my hard-hitting posts of the last few days, please see below . . .



See? I like kids and puppies! :)

0 comments: