My dog Kip, who has been my family for nine years now, trusts me totally. He doesn't react at all if my hand appears near the food he is devouring, sleeps deeply next to me for hours on end and will even permit me to hold him on my lap like a baby while I scratch his belly . . . if that isn't trust, what is? I also trust Kip--specifically, I trust that any time I am careless enough to leave out a Starbucks cup with coffee in it, Kip will find it, knock it over and lap up the coffee from the floor. I also trust that Kip will run through any open gate because he cannot wait to explore the world on the other side of it. One of the many things I love about Kip is this bond of trust that we have forged from living together for so many years.
I have been thinking about trust often lately, while embarking on my first serious romantic relationship since the one that ended early last year. In that encounter, my heart was treated carelessly, both by me and by him, until my companion-turned friend, who had sworn he wanted to be my friend always, decided it was easier to simply stop communicating with me with no notice whatsoever. For obvious reasons, this was an unpleasant experience (understatement of the year) that left me doubting many things, including my own judgment.
Fortunately or unfortunately, this new relationship has been one of quick decisions and whirlwind intensity and soulful interaction revealing that he has already--in this short period of time--figured out a good number of the things that make me tick. This leaves me both blissfully happy and extremely nervous. While I cannot block out the tiny voice inside me that squeaks out a constant and plaintive refrain of, "Be careful!," I am seriously opposed to permitting last year's experience to risk or ruin what could be a beautiful connection now and, perhaps, for a long time, with a great person.
So, while I summon the courage to pursue the new life I want from a career perspective, I am also enlisting that courage to keep my mind and heart open to the possibility of a new love. As much as I want to rise to this task, it is one covered by the proverbial "more easily said than done." If the Wise Readership of This Blog has any words of support or optimism, they are very welcome here.
05 October 2005
Don't you trust me?
Posted by Lisa at 6:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
"When you love someone, it is destructive to keep scraping at the clay of your belonging. There is much to recommend not interfering with your love. Two people who love each other should never feel called to explain to an outside party why they love each other, or why it is that they belong together." -- John O'Donohue , Anam Cara (p. 34)
Lisa,
When all is quiet, listen to the still, small voice inside; not to the ever-present chatter of emotion from past (and occassionally unpleasant) experiences.
On the other hand, if he hates traveling, dogs, baseball, Chicago, rehabbed houses in quaint neighborhoods, and looking at beautiful photographs, then it would be best to run away real fast.
jd
In these situations, my grandmother used to say: "Remember, sweetheart, that this guy is NOT the other guy"
do you know how to make God laugh? "just tell him your plans".
take it one day, and one moment, and one contact at a time.
and if he doesn't like the cubs, give him the gate immediately!
Thanks, all, for your insight and excellent advice. Unfortunately for me, JD, he seems to love traveling, dogs, baseball, Chicago, rehabbed houses in quaint (but not yet yuppie) neighborhoods and looking at beautiful and fun (check out his site, www.bighappyfunhouse.com) photographs. Combined with his other fine qualities, this makes him very well-suited for me. DC, he is--sadly--a White Sox fan, but isn't that really simply a Cubs fan who took a wrong turn at the Dan Ryan? ha ha I am actually trying to view this as a positive, in that it means there is a slight possibility of having at least one World Series victory between the two of us.
Post a Comment