I was reading Kottke this morning, as I do almost every day because he finds really interesting things on the internet. Today he links to a blog entry by Scott Adams, the creator of "Dilbert," in which Adams describes both the loss of his voice 18 months ago and how he "remapped" his brain to work around the failure that led to the voice loss. He has now corrected it completely! This is one of the coolest things I remember reading about in a long time.
As if his story was not enough, at the end of his entry, Adams asks readers to briefly describe their happiest moment ever. It is a really good question, and one that I could not answer as easily as I thought I could. I plan to think about this today and post about it later. But I am interested in hearing what you consider your happiest moment of your life--please comment below!
In another less happy story, Kottke writes about American artist William Uterwohlen, who explored his descent into Alzheimer's-induced dementia through the painting of self portraits. My grandmother died from complications related to Alzheimer's and my mother remains certain that horrible disease will be the cause of her own demise. The paintings pictured with this story (click on the link to see all of them) tell the story better than the words, and it is heartbreaking.
Happily sleeping mini fox (by me).
25 October 2006
A very smart man and his happiest moment
Posted by Lisa at 9:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What an inspiring blog. I didn't know he had lost his voice, that's pretty amazing.
My happiest moment, huh? Guess I should say my wedding day, but weddings can be so stressful. I'm not sure I have a happiest moment, but I have a lot of happy moments. OK, I take it back. My happiest moment was when we got a phone call that there was no sign of cancer after Al went through chemotherapy and surgery to remove the scar tissue. Yep. That one's right up there.
My happiest moments are when I am on vacation with my family, particularly to far away places where there are no distractions like television, work, friends, etc.
Thanks, guys, I can identify with each of your happiest moments and am so glad you have experienced those times! At first, I thought I could only come up with different types of happiest moments for myself (i.e., happiest romantic moment, proudest moment, etc.), but I think if I was to just explain what I am doing when I am at my happiest, it would be when I am in a beautiful, foreign place, seeing new things and meeting new people and speaking a language other than English and taking photographs I know I will cherish. I find those moments to be pure happiness and still think about them now when I want to transport myself elsewhere.
Post a Comment