13 October 2006

What's in Another Moleskine?

It seemed that you all enjoyed peeking at the scribbles in my little black notebook, so I'll share more with you more notes, from another volume in my Moleskine stash:

--notes taken while playing a Nancy Drew mystery computer game with my friends' daughters

--a "frequent buyer" card from a Virgin Megastore, with two punches

--the name, address, phone number and hours for a winery I wanted to visit in Napa Valley

--two names and phone numbers I do not recognize

--a Georgia O'Keeffe quote I jotted down while watching a short film at her museum in Santa Fe, concerning painting being like walking on a knife: "I always felt I might fall off on either side, but so whar? I would rather be doing something I really wanted to do"

--notes about things to do in New York in June 2005

--things I found interesting about a Salman Rushdie talk I attended in March 2005 (more on this later)

--notes about things I did and saw during a March 2005 trip to Minneapolis for both business and pleasure

--the code to someone's parking garage and directions to their apartment . . . I'm not sure, but I think these were to help me get to my friend Kent's apartment in Houston

--notes about good places to eat in Oklahoma City

--quotes heard during a Cubs/Rockies game in May 2005, along with that day's lineup for the Cubs

--notes about how I felt when a friend cancelled our plans to meet during a visit home

--a tracking of my billable hours in time entries for work done while out of town on vacation (9.9 hours over the course of a week)

--telephone messages picked up from my office during the 2005 vacation

--notes about my June 2005 vacation to Boston and NYC, including this one from Father's Day: "Today I miss my Dad so much it hurts. A guy on the elevator at the hotel reminded me cheerfully, "Be sure to call your Dad today!" I hesitated for a moment, not sure what to say, then said just, "Thanks." I could tell by his words and smile that his own father is alive, as it has not yet crossed his mind that a person might not be able to call her father on Father's Day. I know he meant well. Anyway, I have really perfected the art of forgetting Father's Day, typically traveling or doing something slightly out of the ordinary to help me forget. But it is impossible to forget today, at Yankee Stadium in a ballpark full of fathers, where I cannot help but remember Dad's excitement during the 1998 Sosa/McGuire home run race."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Please have a fun and safe weekend, all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture. . .

Anonymous said...

It's amazing all the little things we amass in our lives, such as little notes and mementos of our past... I love finding such little reminders. It's what helps me remember everything that I've experienced in life.

Kell said...

That's a great quote from O'Keefe. I really love her work.

Thanks for sharing those snippets with us. Have a great weekend.

Lisa said...

You would like that picture, Popeye--it's Lake Michigan, taken from Grant Park.

Nova, you are so right . . . especially for someone like me who has a really terrible memory.

Thanks, Kell--hope you had a great weekend, too!