The Cubs were swept by the Diamondbacks. I have no words, other than those of the late MLB Commissioner Bart Giamatti, speaking about the game of baseball:
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.(Via Bleed Cubbie Blue)
Be safe this winter, Cubs team. We'll get them next year.

4 comments:
Lisa,
There is such irony in that quote, since I'm in Calgary, Alberta, and you, Houston, Texas. Yesterday, there was snow on the roadsides while I was out on my bike just south of Calgary. I hardly think you're in a position to complain about the arrival of fall and long for better seasons now behind you.
PS
It may not come through in my writing, but there is a lot of tongue-in-cheek going on in my post. In fact, it's exclusive to anything else.
PPS
I suppose the quote originates from Chicago and not Houston. In which case, you may have a point. :)
Have a good day.
At least Cubs fans, for the first time in a loooooooooong time, have some hope for the future. You have people to continue to build around. Soriano, D-Lee, Zombrano ... all big-time players.
Some of us don't have anything to look forward to. The Cubs are about to have new ownership. One that is willing to pay players and bring in people to succeed. Us Cards fans are in the opposite position now. Now it's US who have ownership that is going to nickel & dime the players and fans. Not to mention the fact they they seem to have a policy against signing or developing any non-white player. WTF is up with that?
Anyway, there's a lot more hope in Cubland than there is in the Cardinal Nation today.
I'm sorry about that. But there is next year and you have a lot to be excited and hopeful for. Maybe that will get you through the cold days of winter.
Brett, my dear, the weather talk is a metaphor for the emptiness and coldness of spirit that is many months without baseball.
Jay, thanks for the positive thinking. Do you think LaRussa will stay with the Cards? Or will he succeed Torre with the Yankees?
Kel, thanks so much--I am hopeful for the Cubs in 2008.
Post a Comment