09 October 2007

The world feels really empty to me right now.

On a personal level, anyway. I feel lonely. The source of this feeling is not clearly known to me. Have I driven everyone away? It feels as if the wheels could blow off everything at any moment. Also, I'm going to miss my grade school reunion this weekend because I have to work. I feel as if I am letting down my classmates and expect to regret missing the outing.

More significantly, I might have written before about a dear friend who is serving a lengthy prison term. I learned today that a substantial reason for him getting a terrible defense at trial was that the U.S. Attorney's office pressured his former employer to stop paying his legal fees, under a threat that the company would be indicted, too. This makes me so sick that there are no words. Despite all of the terrible things the Bush Administration has done to our government, I have relied on an abiding faith that this, too, shall pass and that our system was built to withstand such low points in the Executive Branch. But knowing this could happen--that the U.S. Attorney's office would do it, that the company and its lawyers would go along with it--so shakes my faith in our system that I don't know what to do. His trial counsel won a $2.5 million dollar verdict against the company earlier this year for its failure to pay his legal fees. But my friend remains in federal prison.

I'm trying really hard to think positive thoughts right now.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so, so sorry about your friend. That is criminal.

Marsosudiro said...

Echo of Jenn comment. Please pass greetings of strength and peace to your friend, if you feel they'd be welcome.

Yesterday I asked my friend K how she'd use her magic wand if she could change the world by either (a) making it so that more good things would happen or (b) making it so that fewer bad things would happen. She quickly chose (b) -- feeling that there was so much pain caused by egregious moments of evil or injustice.

On that theme, I spent much of tonight at church saying prayers for people around the world who might be suffering in some way. I hope in some tiny way that your friend felt himself held in the Light.