When I wasn't deeply focused on work-related stuff today (which I found refreshingly stimulating and challenging), I was seething with anger over Shrub's nomination of Harriet Miers for the U.S. Supreme Court. Hasn't he dumbed down our government enough? Even Miers' friends and supporters consistently describe her by stating only how nice and hard-working she is--with nary a mention of her mental firepower. That is very telling. Whatever I might think of new Chief Justice John Roberts' ideology (if he had been so gracious to share it with us), I am wowed by his intelligence, as demonstrated by his facile handling of all legal issues raised in the confirmation hearing. That is not the case for this nominee, whom I heard speak earlier this year, at a luncheon in which she had to read with her nose practically pressed to her speech in order to tell us about the Administration's fine accomplishments. At least her dimness will make this confirmation process entertaining . . . that is, if one pretends the outcome is unimportant to the future of American jurisprudence.
I think part of my anger may be based upon the fact that such an unworthy successor was chosen for the seat of Sandra Day O'Connor, the woman who made me want to be a lawyer. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Justice O'Connor made me realize it was actually possible that I could be a lawyer, because no one in my small town talked about girls being lawyers, even girls who were smart enough to be in a special math class that consisted of just that one girl and two boys. When Justice O'Connor was appointed to the Supreme Court in the month when I celebrated my twelfth birthday, I realized that anything was possible for me.
If Miers survives the confirmation process, Justice O'Connor's seat on the Court, as well as her strides of accomplishment that benefited all women, will be cheapened by the appointment of this exponentially less qualified individual.
Speaking of the dumbing down of the U.S government, I am reminded of a very funny Albert Brooks quote in the movie Broadcast News. After proclaiming the character played by William Hurt, newly hired as a news anchor by Brooks' TV station, to be the "devil," Brooks explains further to the character played by Holly Hunter:
He'll be attractive, he'll be nice and helpful...he'll get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation...he'll never do an evil thing, he'll never deliberately hurt a living thing...he'll just bit by little bit lower our standards where they're important...just a tiny little bit.........and he'll get all the great women.While Brooks was speaking to the newfound concept of news anchors who do not understand the news they deliver, that is how I feel about what Bush has done to our country (though I can't speak to the greatness of Laura Bush). That is why I devoted all of my energies last year to defeating his re-election (or election, as the case may be). That is why I am now, once again, seriously considering moving to Europe or Canada. This time I may just do it. Or, I could adopt the attitude of my friend Beth, who laughed at herself today because she was more incensed about Macy's plan to place its own moniker on all of the Marshall Field's stores it recently acquired than she was regarding the recent hurricanes and other national calamities.

7 comments:
Lisa--enjoyed you take on the recent Supreme Court nominees. I really couldn't see any justification for voting against Roberts (I don't think some somewhat questionable statements put in writing during the Reagan administration alone are a sufficient basis). However, I'll be interested to see how the hearings go for Ms. Miers. Her primary qualifications seem to be that she was able to rise to the top of a large law firm (is that really a good thing?), she has no judicial opinions to provide a basis for pesky questions, and she's willing to shamelessly suck up to a zero like Bush!--I hope we're able to muddle along anyway, as my employment options in Canada are rather limited!--Carolyn
P.S I think I've spent too much time worrying about what's going to happen in shopping centers where there's a Foley's & a Macy's, as Foley's is apparently going to turn into Macy's. At least Marshall Fields had already gotten out of the Houston Galleria before the latest mergers!
> That is why I am now, once again, seriously considering moving to Europe or Canada. This time I may just do it.
What? Now this can't believe, you moving to our spoiled continent! What would happen to your productivity?
lisa-
don't you dare move away. no canadian citizen has ever been nominated for the supreme court; you must stay statesaide and wait for your country's call to the bench!
dc
DC, thanks for your vote of confidence, but I fear that I have not lived the kind of pristine and adventureless life required for a judicial appointment these days, which presents an impediment to my hopes for such a position. That, and I haven't given thousands of dollars to the Republican Party or sold my soul to the devil (or is that redundant?).
Quirogam, believe it or not, I would not be opposed to living a significantly less "productive" life, meaning that I would like to work more on other kinds of things than those on which I spend the majority of my time these days.
Carolyn, I agree totally with your summary of Miers' "qualifications." How crazy is it that Shrub had to actually hold a press conference (anathema to him!) yesterday to shore up support for her? Pathetic.
> Quirogam, believe it or not, I would not be opposed to living a significantly less "productive" life, meaning that I would like to work more on other kinds of things than those on which I spend the majority of my time these days.
Very nice, I like that. But I didn't mean working on other things, I meant not working at all! Just wasting time sitting on the dock of the bay, just like us Europeans. Some people can't stand it.
Quirogam, yes, I am actually quite talented at "sitting on the dock of a bay" . . . I have excelled at this on each visit to Europe, and am working on perfecting it while at home!
Great, Lisa! Now, if you are willing to live without lots of money, choose your favorite European language and move here. We have everything you may possibly want, except money.
Post a Comment