17 October 2007

Can body chemistry change?

I'm curious about this.

For my entire adult life until about a year ago, I could drink alcoholic beverages without being any worse for the wear unless, of course, I overindulged. But about a year ago, I began noticing that even drinking an innocuous glass of wine left me feeling lethargic in the morning and affected my mood to a considerable degree. When I realized this occurred every time I had a glass of wine and was not an aberration, I decided not to drink except on the rare occasions when it is socially required. But now I'm thinking that even then, I'll find away around it--I simply feel better without it.

Just thoughts . . .

4 comments:

Jay said...

Maybe you just don't drink enough. You haven't built up a good tolerance for the stuff?

Or maybe it's just wine. Lets do tequila shots sometime and see if that works out better for ya. ;-)

Kell said...

That's been happening to me, too, and I just chuck it up to getting a little older. And Al has notice that wine, especially white wine, hits him a lot harder than anything else and leaves him feeling rotten in the morning. However, he has no problem with single malt scotch :)

Marsosudiro said...

Yep - bodies change. The internet told me so:

http://pathwayscourses.samhsa.gov/aaap/aaap_3_pg6.htm

I enjoy the taste of many alcoholic beverages, but I'm also pretty sensitive to alcohol, so I avoid drinking unless there's a compelling flavor reason.

And I think my body's changing, too. Two years ago I would routinely knock down 1-1/2 light beers with a big bowl of popcorn. Now, my body starts to say "slow down" on the beer after the first half-can, or even says, "Oh, maybe you'd rather have something else."

I tell people that taking one drink is the equivalent of taking away one hour from my previous night's sleep -- instant fatigue, increasing with every sip.

Bleah.

Jenn said...

Yes, I believe body chemistry changes. How else am I to explain how my hair went from straight to curly in the past several years?

Are you drinking white or red wine? You may have developed an allergy to the tannins in the red. I've noticed that I can't put back as much of it as I used to (and I love red wine).

Rambling on to bed now...